Wolverines hold on for win over Falcons

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio — A five-minute major penalty was all No. 19 Michigan needed to hold on for a 2-1 win over Bowling Green.

The Wolverines scored two goals in a span of 1:11 during a five-minute major penalty, and then held Bowling Green to seven shots over the final two periods to pick up their second straight win.

Michigan outshot the Falcons 30-13, and the game would not have been close if it were not for the efforts of Bowling Green’s Nick Eno who stopped 28 shots.

“Eno played well, we had a few good chances. When we had isolated quality chances were he looked really good,” Michigan coach Red Berenson said.

The five-minute major penalty came midway through the first period to Bowling Green’s Tommy Dee for checking from behind, leading to Michigan striking twice during the man advantage.

First, Matt Rust collected a rebound off Eno’s left pad and slotted the puck into the back of the net. Just 1:11 later Michigan struck again as Chris Brown snuck a wrist shot between Eno’s left shoulder and the post.

“I think we realized we needed to capitalize of five minutes of a man advantage, and fortunately we popped in two there,” Steve Kampfer, who had an assist on both goals said.

Not only did Dee’s infraction give Michigan the 2-0 lead, it also forced the Falcons fourth leading scorer to spend the rest of the game in the locker room.

With 4:10 left in the firs period Bowling Green cut the deficit in half as Tomas Petruska’s shot from just below the left circle beat Hogan high on the stick side.

In the second period neither team could find the back of the net, as Michigan came close but 11 stops by Eno allowed the Falcons to remain within one.

Bowling Green almost tied the game at two just under five minutes into the period, as Kai Kantola’s power play shot laid in the crease for several seconds before it was finally covered up by Hogan.

Rust almost picked up his second goal of the game with nine minutes remaining in period, as his spinning wrist shot was just kicked away by the right pad of Eno as the last second.

Eno made another great stop 54 seconds later when he was able to make a big left shoulder save and keep the puck from sliding into the net after a shot by Michigan’s David Wohlberg.

In the third period Bowling Green continued to battle back, but could never find the equalizer.

David Solway came within inches of tying the game at two, but his shot from just below the left circle rang off of the post after he had collected a rebound of off Hogan’s pad.

Bowling Green was given a golden chance to tie the game with three minutes left, when Lee Moffie was sent to the box for boarding. They almost put the tying marker home when the puck took an awkward bounce off of Hogan’s stick and bounced right in front of an empty net, however Hogan was able to scramble back and clear the puck off of the line before the Falcons could put it home.

“I’ve never seen that bounce before,” Eno who’s practiced at the Ice Arena for the past two seasons, said. “I’ve seen it hop out on the side by the zamboni doors, but never at the other end.”

The teams will continue their series on Tuesday Feb. 9 when they head to Ann Arbor, in the meantime Michigan will play an outdoor game at Wisconsin on Saturday, while Bowling Green will have the weekend off.


Comments are closed.