Zack Friedli has a previous engagement this week, so here I am with this week’s WCHA Power Rankings…
1. Minnesota – (15-5-0 WCHA, 19-9-1) Minnesota swept the Saint Cloud State Huskies in a home and home series (2-1 W, 3-2 W) this past weekend. The Minnesota Gophers limited the SCSU Huskies to 25 shots on net for the weekend. This weekend the Gophers are idle.
2. Minnesota Duluth – (11-4-3 WCHA, 17-5-4) The Bulldogs tied and lost (4-4 T, 0-5 L) against Michigan Tech University this past weekend at Amsoil Arena in Duluth, Minnesota. This weekend the Bulldogs travel toAnchorage, Alaska to play the UAA Seawolves.
3. Colorado College – (11-7-0 WCHA, 14-9-1) The Tigers were idle this past weekend. This weekend the Tigers have a home and home series with their cross state rivals the Denver Pioneers.
4. Denver – (10-5-3 WCHA, 15-8-3). The Pioneers swept the Seawolves this past weekend in Anchorage, Alaska (4-2 W, 6-3 W). Saturday, sophomore goalie Sam Brittain returned from a knee injury; started in goal and got the win in net for the Pioneers. This weekend the Pioneers have a home and home series with their cross state rivals the Colorado College Tigers.
4. North Dakota – (11-9-0, 15-10-2) The University of North Dakota swept the Badgers at the Ralph Englestad Area this past weekend (5-3 W, 4-2 W). UND is idle this weekend. The University of North Dakota has been hit by the Injury Ninja and the following players are currently out of the lineup for UND: Rocco Grimaldi (knee, season), Brendan O’Donnell (shoulder) and Derek Rodwell (shoulder, out for the season).
6. Nebraska-Omaha – (9-6-3 WCHA, 12-10-4) The Mavericks were idle this past weekend. This weekend the Mavericks entertain the Bemidji State Beavers.
7. Michigan Tech – (9-7-2 WCHA, 12-12-2) The Michigan Tech Huskies look three of four points (4-4 T, 5-0 W) against the Bulldogs at Amsoil arena in Duluth, Minnesota. This weekend Michigan Tech travels to Mankato to play the Minnesota State Mavericks.
8. Bemidji State – (6-10-2 WCHA, 12-12-2) The Beavers split their weekend series with the Minnesota State Mavericks (2-1 W, 2-5 L) at the Sanford Center. This weekend the Beavers travel to Omaha to play the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks.
9. Wisconsin – (7-10-2 WCHA, 12-12-2) The Wisconsin Badgers have an impressive 11-4-1 record at Kohl Center. After being swept by University of North Dakota this past weekend (2-5 L, 2-4 L) in Grand Forks, the Badgers have an unimpressive 1-8-1 record away from the Kohl Center. This weekend the Badgers look to improve on their home record against the depleted Saint Cloud State Huskies.
10. St. Cloud State – (7-10-3 WCHA, 10-14-4) The Huskies were swept by the Gophers (1-2 L, 2-3 L) this past weekend. This weekend the Huskies travel to Wisconsin to take on the Badgers. Huskies junior goalie Mike Lee returned from injury and played Friday night for the Huskies. The Huskies has been hit by the Injury Ninja as they have lost forward Travis Novak to a lower body injury on Friday night and are still without their top forward Drew LeBlanc (broken leg).
11. Minnesota State – (5-14-1 WCHA, 9-18-1) The Minnesota State Mavericks split their series with the Bemidji State Beavers (1-2, L, 5-2 W). The Mavericks entertain the Michigan Tech Huskies in Mankato, Minnesota.
12. Alaska-Anchorage – (3-16-1 WCHA, 6-16-2) The Seawolves were swept (2-4 L, 3-6 L) by the Denver Pioneers in Anchorage Alaska this past weekend. This weekend the Seawolves entertain Minnesota Duluth. Anchorage has lost seven games in a row and has not won since December 9, 2011.