Six Straight Goals Leads Hershey Over Adirondack

The Hershey Bears defeated the Adirondack Phantoms 6-3 at Giant Center Friday night, behind a strong penalty kill and a string of six straight goals by the chocolate and white. The Bears penalty kill stopped 10 of the 11 power play chances they faced, including long stretches of being down two men at some moments. Tomas Kundratek led the charge, netting his 9th goal of the year along with three assists on the night from the blue line and forward, Kyle Greentree added two goals to put the game out of reach.

The Bears began the first period with great intensity in the first couple minutes, cashing in on a Tomas Kundratek wrist shot following a rebound in front of the net. The play was setup by newcomer, T.J. Syner and forward, Garrett Mitchell. Following the goal, Bears forward Joel Rechlicz dropped the gloves with Oliver Lauridsen clearly winning the bout. Rechlicz was penalized for instigation along with a ten minute misconduct.

Both teams earned quality scoring chances in the first period, including an Adirondack man advantage where Bears forward, Ryan Potulny broke his stick giving the Phantoms a prime scoring opportunity. Goalie, Dany Sabourin was up to the task making the save and held on to the puck till he heard a whistle. Both teams took numerous careless penalties in the period, but both teams were unsuccessful with the man advantage. Hershey was the more aggressive team in the first frame, outshooting Adirondack 11-9 but having quality chances in front of the net.

Adirondack quickly answered on a rebound goal by defenseman, Brandon Manning. The tally was setup by former Bear, Matthew Ford and Phantom’s forward, Denis Hamel. Adirondack hit the score sheet again, finally cashing in on a power play chance as Matthew Ford potted his 21st goal of the year against his former team. Ford planted in front of Danny Sabourin and Denis Hamel delivered the puck from behind the goal line, giving the Phantoms a 2-1 advantage. Hershey battled back to tie the game at two, on a shorthanded goal from Garrett Mitchell who got the puck after jumping out of the penalty box and firing a shot to the back of the net.

During a highly penalized second period, Hershey capitalized on a 5-3 power play as Kyle Greentree redirected a point shot from Chris Bourque. Greentree was planted right in front of the crease as Bourque delivered right to Greentree’s stick for his seventh goal of the year. Hershey  added to their lead, taking a 4-2 advantage late in the second period as forward Cody Eakin fired a wrist shot past Jason Bacashihua from the left circle. The play was set up by Julien Brouillette and Tomas Kundratek, his second assist of the game. The Bears then took a three goal lead in the last minute of the second period, as Mike Carman redirected a centering feed from forward, D.J. King.

Hershey came out in the first half of the third period, with a less aggressive offensive approach until gaining another power play opportunity. Kyle Greentree fired home his 8th goal of the season on a slap shot at the left wing. Adirondack scored a late goal with the game out of reach as Garrett Roe netted his 8th goal of the year on a breakaway chance. cutting the lead to 6-3. Adirondack had late power play chances, but were unable to convert just as they had down the whole night with the man advantage.

Hershey takes on the Albany Devils at Giant Center Saturday night followed by a trip to Albany for another matchup against the Devils.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.