Hershey dominates Wilkes-Barre, win 5-1

Every time a team faces a division rival, players are able to give a substantial effort throughout the whole game. Hershey came out with an outstanding team effort with many lines contributing including the fourth line with third period goal.

The Hershey Bears played defeated the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins 5-1, Sunday night at a sold out Giant Center. Brad Thiessen was in between the pipes for the Penguins and Braden Holtby in net for Hershey. Scott Munroe the backup to Thiessen has had the better season numbers wise, but Thiessen is the number one goalie after a strong season last season for Wilkes-Barre Scranton.

The first period was a high intensity hitting affair with many quality scoring chances for both teams. Both teams finished with 13 shots each in the period.  Jacob Micflikier had a deflection in in front of the net five minutes in, but Thiessen was up to the challenge. Fourteen minutes into the first period, Ryan Potulny potted his sixth goal of the year assisted by Chris Borque and defenseman, Patrick Wellar. Quickly after the goal, Philip Samuelsson was called for slashing with about five minutes left in the first frame. Hershey made quick work on the power play as Jacob Micflikier was successful on his second attempt for a deflection with his 20th goal of the year after a point shot by Chris Bourque from defenseman, Patrick McNeill. Paul Thompson sent the Penguins on their second penalty kill of the period on a boarding call after a post whistle scrum, but Hershey was unsuccessful on their second man advantage.

Hershey quickly got back on the man advantage, 1:06 into the second period. Micflikier scored his 21st of the year on the power play assisted by McNeill and Potulny, giving the Bears a 3-0 lead. Wellar and Steve Macintyre dropped the gloves at the three minute mark, with Macintyre getting the best of the contest. Before the fight, Andrew Carroll was called for a tripping penalty. Wilkes-Barre Scranton was unable to cash in on their chances. Midway through the second period Penguins forward Brandon Defazio started landing continuous punches on Hershey defenseman Tomas Kundratek, who never fought back. Defazio was hit with instigation and a five minute major for fighting along with a game misconduct. During those 7 minutes of penalty time Wilkes-Barre was whistled for delay of game for flipping a puck over the glass. Hershey was unable to generate many chances with a two man advantage for two minutes, during the long power play time late in the second period. The Bears outshot the Penguins 15-9, leading in that category for the game 15-9.

The Bears grinders, the fourth line eventually hit the score sheet in the third, giving the Bears a 4-0 advantage.  Garrett Mitchell netted his fifth goal of the season, assisted by D.J. King and  Carroll. Wilkes-Barre Scranton avoided the shutout with Jason Williams’s eighth goal of the year assisted by Ben Street and Colin McDonald. Hershey answered the Penguins late tally with one of their own from Ryan Potulny assisted by Bourque and Boyd Kane, giving them a 5-1 advantage. In the last minute of the game, the Bears fourth line was back on the ice and three players from each team engaged in a scrum near the middle of the ice. During the tie up, Carroll dropped the gloves with Alex Grant. The officials let the clock run out while this was going on, as the clock ticked to zero to cap off a 5-1 Bears win over their division rival, the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins.

Hershey wore exclusive jerseys for tonight’s game at Giant Center promoting Chocolate Covered February. The jerseys were auctioned off after the game, with a starting price of $500. Captain Boyd Kane’s jersey was sold for $2650.

The Bears stay on the road for the next five games until returning to Giant Center on February 25th facing the Norfolk Admirals. Hershey faces Providence, Manchester, Bridgeport, Rochester and Lake Erie on their upcoming five game road trip.



Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.