Bruins’ Winning Streak Snapped as They Fall to Monarchs

The Bruins came into this game after two straight wins against the Albany Devils and St. Johns IceCaps. Providence also came into this game just five points behind the division leading Manchester Monarchs despite being in last place in the division. After a win against division rival St. Johns earlier in the week, they were looking for a big win in Manchester to gain some points early in the season.

The Bruins have several players from their parent club Boston Bruins on their squad and also top prospects such as Garnet Exelby, Ryan Spooner, Jared Knight and Jordan Caron. On this night they faced off with the AHL club of the Stanley Cup Champions the Manchester Monarchs.

However, Providence was without both Spooner and Knight tonight, and Kyle MacKinnon was banged up after a boarding call which put the Bruins into a tough situation. Manchester went on their second power play of the game with five and a half minutes left in the first after a roughing call on defenseman Matt Bartkowski, who saw time in the NHL last season with the Bruins.

The Bruins were able to kill that penalty as well which left them with a few minutes left in the period. However, the period would end with no score. After just four shots in that period, Providence started off the second with two quick shots. The Monarchs got another power play opportunity with around 16 minutes remaining.

Providence saw plenty of chances before Manchester got their fourth power play of the night. Matt Bartkowski nearly caught Manchester goalie Martin Jones out of the net, but Christian Hanson would be sent to the box after a scrum behind the Manchester net. However, we would see a four on four after an interference penalty on Jake Muzzin.

Providence would go on their fifth power play but it would be spoiled by a short handed goal from Andrei Loktionov, his eighth point of the year and his fourth goal. Manchester would go on another power play with four and three quarter minutes left in the second period to put the Monarchs on their fifth power play of the night. The penalty was an interference call on the goaltender Niklas Svedberg.

After two periods the Monarchs led by just one goal and the Bruins had just 12 shots, but late in the period Providence started bringing a lot of pressure to the Monarchs. At the start of the third period the teams found themselves on four on four again as matching penalties went to Jamie Tardiff and Thomas Hickey.

They were finally able to capitalize on that sixth power play as Tanner Pearson put it in the net when Sviedberg was on the other side of the net. That put the Monarchs up 2-0.

The Bruins got their sixth power play chance when Jordan Weal went off for the Monarchs. But for the sixth time, they would not be able to score on the man advantage.

Manchester would lock up the game with an empty net goal from Dwight King and the Monarchs would win the game 3-0.


Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.